Fall is such a fun time of year! The weather is still a bit warm with touches of cool weather here and there. The leaves change to brilliant colors of orange, yellow, and red. The crunching of dry fallen leaves below our feet. Apple cider goodness…we can go on forever about how much we love Fall!
To enjoy every last drop of this beautiful time of year, we’ve compiled a list of fun Fall activities to partake in as a family. We hope this list encourages you to get out and enjoy the new season!
1) Plan a family photo session against a brilliant backdrop of red, yellow, and orange trees. You will enjoy the photos and memories for years to come. One photo can also make a great Christmas card!
2) Rake up all the leaves into piles and then watch the children (and maybe your spouse?!) jump into them!
3) Visit an apple orchard and go apple-picking.
4) Make a baked apple treat or homemade applesauce as a family (or one of you makes it while the others enjoy eating it!).
5) Go to a pumpkin farm, buy some pumpkins, then go home and carve them!
6) Bake a pumpkin pie…yum.
7) Take a hike – Literally! Go exploring somewhere you haven’t been as a family. We love Starved Rock and all the amazing hiking trails and breathtaking views. They also have a great lodge where you can enjoy a good meal as well as lodging to make it an overnight excursion!
8) Garden. Yes, you read that correctly! Fall is the perfect time to plant bulbs like tulips for next Spring. The whole family can help with this and then you can enjoy the fruits of your labor when everything re-awakens after winter.
9) Make a big batch of chili and freeze any leftovers.
10) Make every dish possible with butternut squash (and let your children help in any way possible!).
11) Plan out your Halloween costumes and if you’re feeling really creative, make them from scratch! See what crazy and fun ideas your family members can come up with…if anything, it will make everyone laugh and be silly together!
12) Build a bonfire and make S’mores around the fire.
13) Attend a Fall festival that is family-friendly.
14) Plan a fun family Halloween party.
15) Spend time sitting together, listing what you are each thankful for in life.
We hope this list brings family members closer and allows you to spend more quality time with those you love. Making memories is what we love about each change of season. There is always something wonderful to look forward to when making new traditions together.